Thursday 7 February 2013

"I want to believe" vs. "I want to learn more"



The other day Extra Credits posted this wonderful piece contemplating the relation between beliefs, knowledge, learning - and how they don't  actually contradict each other. I could relate to what they were saying a lot - for me personally, these have always been aspects of the same process.

Indeed, many a times when my conclusions finally land on the the "hmmmmh, that's a bunch of bullshit alright" spot, the starting point has not been "this must be wrong and I shall vocalize it over and over to demonstrate how wrong it is," but rather: "what a curious construct/ ingenious idea/ mind-blowing theory/ elegant explanation this is! I want to believe! I wish to know it better, learn more about it, understand how it works".

Among other things I've observed my attitude shift that way (from fascination to "...eh ...") about various horoscope-y categorization systems (like "personality measuring"or clear-cut learning styles), technologies and practices with "earth-friendly intentions" (like bike generators or a bunch of other stuff) and - last but not least - various  motivation'n'productivity theories (like how creative process should work and what self esteem means).

I haven't figured out how to embed videos from Penny Arcade (if they allow it at all), so I'll spam a pretty picture instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment