Thursday 19 July 2012

Environmental horror meets childhood memories

I love the IO9's Secret History series. Often enough it features some of my favourite things (read: wonderful obscenery, more wonderful obscenery and even more wonderful obscenery.). Also, while I'm facts'n'date'-knowledge-disabled, I appreciate all sorts of obscure stuff that's out of the immediate "school knowledge".

And sometimes I get a moment of recognition. Today they're writing about that time China was trying to wipe out sparrows. I know this story! Not only that, I remember this story from early childhood!! My parents told me that as an example how each critter in an ecosystem is crucial to its functioning and survival. (I can't remember exactly what was the reason for the story, but I'm guessing I had said something along the lines of "I wish there were no mosquitoes")

I guess, the moral of the story is: instead of becoming one of these children...
... I became a very different beast indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment