Wednesday 19 March 2014

Granny-sitting Chronicles: Week 37 (Town edition)


In June 2013 I moved to countryside with my elderly aunt to run a "Grannysitting Expedition"
During this time I have been taken pictures more or less constantly. I'll be posting these picture chronicles one week at the time. In December 2013 we had to relocate to town for a while - I'll be doing my best to keep up the weekly picture chronicles. Previous week is in this post.


The following moments are from March 3 - 9.


That week the Flower Digging Season got started. The auntie had been eyeing the snowdrops for a while and finally gathered enough momentum for the dig mode. The ground proved still frozen so the flowers gained a few more days of mercy - until the inevitable could no longer be postponed.

There were other developments as well. I'd already let the auntie mostly manage the kitchen stove herself - but that week the stoveside emancipation reached to a new level. Occasionally I spend nights in my old room/ study and return to "refugee camp" for medicine time and a bit of followup nap, opening the stove dampers on the way. That week, going downstairs I found the kitchen stove (as well as auntie herself) already in full throttle. To my inquiry about how she managed to reach the damper, she gleefully demonstrated the climb-atop-some-firewood-reach-out-the-knife manoeuvre. (That would be the same kitchen knife depicted with snowdrops.) As impressive as I found the creative use of tools and environment, I recognized the safety issues involved and decided to remain downstairs for the nights to come. The next morning, awakened to dispense the morning medicine, I found the stove already going once again. Knowing I wouldn't be able to keep up with the early rising contest, I, too turned to some inventive tool use. After deploying the long-handle ladle with just the perfect hook, there has been no more evidence of firewood-stack-parkour.











 




No comments:

Post a Comment