Thursday 5 December 2013

Granny-sitting Chronicles: Week 22.


In June 2013 I moved to countryside with my elderly aunt to run a "Grannysitting Expedition". During this time I have been taken pictures more or less constantly. I'll be posting these picture chronicles one week at the time. Previous week is in this post.


The following moments are from November 16 - 22.

About that time the auntie took the initiative to do the oven-stove heating herself. (Just the one, "her stove" using the prepared stack of "her logs".) I'm guessing it was a combination of outdoor activities getting scarce and my leaving the "toys" conveniently out there for exploring, also her fascination with building fires and concern over tending the stoves in general. I had made a small woodstack in the pantry, originally intended to serve as longterm extra stock for kitchen stove and doubling as wall insulation. During the stack'n'carry operation the aunt remained unimpressed; then she began little pantry inspection rounds, contemplating what all that wood would be good for. One day I heard her coming from the pantry, then appear to the doorway, victorious, with a bundle of logs which she started to line up inside the stove. The first few times I assisted more hands-on, helping to tear the newspaper-tinder, adjusting the burning logs myself, bringing matches. After a few times this was no longer necessary and i merely stood by for assistance and commenting on the process.

That week we also had some more cold waves, bringing some proper November frost and "proper ice" on the rainwater tub. There was also a wave of indoor exploration (the aunt gets those sometimes) - resulting in some odd relocations of some odd items. I believe she dispersed some random toiletries in kitchen cabinets; I took that-old-photo-of-a-dude-we-don't-have-a-clue-about to warm and dry.












No comments:

Post a Comment